What is a property inspection?

When you make an application to the UK Border Agency for entry clearance, spouse via, visitor visa, into the United Kingdom, you may be requested to obtain an independent assessment of the number of rooms and occupants for the proposed accommodation. A  property assessment is to ensure the property is safe, in a good state of repair and doesn't pose a health and safety risk. It will also assess whether the property would become overcrowded if any more people were to move in. If the property meets the required standards then we will issue a confirmation letter which can be used as part of a visa application.

When completing the property inspection the following standards are required:

  • the property is safe, in a good state of repair and doesn't pose a health and safety risk;
  • the property has adequate kitchen and bathroom facilities (shared facilities with another family is not acceptable);
  • the property is owned or occupied exclusively by the sponsor / sponsor's family (the property is not suitable, if it is shared with members of another family);  
  • the property has a sufficient number of rooms of adequate sizes so that an assessment can be made as to whether or not the property  will become overcrowded if more people were to move in.    




What is the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS)?


We use the Housing Health and Safety Ratings System to make sure that properties  are safe to live in and involves carrying out inspections based on possible hazards. 

If you own a property and rent it out, we may carry out a HHSRS inspection because:

  • your tenants have asked them for one;
  • your property has been identified as being potentially hazardous.